These are 7 simple rules that work really well for fast fat loss and overall health.
1. Eat 5-6 smaller meals per day (as opposed to 2 or 3 really large meals), or about every two-three hours: when we do this, our body is able to break down, digest and use the nutrients for energy as needed and there is little left over to store as fat.
2. Cut out calorie containing drinks: drink water and / or tea (hot or iced) with each meal, and try not to add any sugar to the tea, or at least add very little. Note: this is one of the most important habits for fast fat loss, yet it is commonly overlooked by dieters and nutrition specialists.
3. Eat a piece of fruit or a serving of vegetables with every meal: try to vary your fruit and veggie intake. Experiment with cooking, and buy in-season produce for low prices and freshness.
4. Eat a serving of lean protein with each meal: protein is more complex than fats and carbohydrates, so the body uses more energy in digesting, which can result in more calories burned and an overall increase in metabolic rate (faster metabolism = more fat burn). Here are just a few lean protein examples: 93% lean ground beef / turkey, boneless chicken breast, canned tuna (in moderation), low fat cheese, beans (although higher in carbohydrates, a very good source of both protein and fiber) and mixed nuts.
5. Do not forget to eat your healthy fats: that's right, you have to eat fat for fast fat loss! Just try to avoid saturated fats (although it's fine to get some from your natural animal sources). Focus on poly and monounsaturated fats. Good sources of these include olive oil, avocados, flax seeds, nuts, and natural peanut butter (keep in mind that most popular peanut butter brands typically include hydrogenated oils, which increase trans fat content, a BIG NO for fast fat loss!)
6. EXERCISE! Try to get about 3 – 5 hours of good exercise in per week (Hint: for fast fat loss, focus on resistance training and interval training. and sometimes can make you even hungrier, which means you'll probably end up consuming more calories overall.
7. CHEAT: This is just as important as the previous 6 tips. Allow yourself a cheat meal once, twice, even three times a week (as long as it is not an entitlement pepperoni pizza or a 12 piece bucket of KFC) Have a few beers on Friday … whatever it is that will keep you sane. Just remember not to overdo it or you'll compromise your well earned gains!